Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Lull in Activity

Here we are approaching the heart of storm season '09 and zonal flow dominates the synoptic weather pattern... leading to very little supercell and tornado activity. The long range forecasts look grim with zonal flow and then a forecasted ridge building in by May 16-17 and beyond. There may be a couple of "marginal" at best plays out there over the next 7 days, but overall the upper level flow and good moisture don't align correctly for supercells. The TWISTEX project is still working out some technical issues with COM ports on our new mobile mesonet system, but we are close to resolution. I plan to be back out on the road once the forecasted ridge breaks down. If the cap looks breakable on Tue in eastern Colorado, I may poke my nose out there and see if I can't catch me a supercell... we'll see.
 

1 comment:

  1. A bunch of us CO-knuckleheads will be out today hoping for that whole cap break thingie. ;)

    ReplyDelete